A Family Activity

I managed to keep all three kids occupied with one thing. I asked Jireh to feed Soren. So naturally Miriam had to supervise, direct, and finally join in. They actually did a great job, tag teaming and teaching him the animal sounds. “Here comes the cow! Moo, moo moo! Yay, you ate the cow!” (Stuff I have never ever done with them…) Here is a photo of the grand event.

As you all know I am planning a home birth, but as a backup plan I am using the same OB practice I used for all 3 kids, for lab work and sonograms, etc. as well as prenatal care. (Mainly in case I end up needing to deliver in the hospital, so they won’t be surprised to see me.) Today I had an appointment at 10:15, which naturally required massive effort to get three kids and myself washed, dressed and fed to be out the door by 9am (so they could sit at my mother in law’s while I went to the dr).

So I get to the doctor about 10:05 and check in, and they take me right away for blood pressure/weight/etc. Then they stuck me in the exam room where the MSN was going to come in, listen to the heartbeat with a doppler (which I heard on Saturday anyway, when my lay midwife made her monthly house call) and ask if I had any questions (which I don’t). Oh, and probably yell at me for not coming in since June 30. I’m waiting, waiting, waiting. I finished the book I brought with me and checked the time on my cell phone. (By the way did you ever notice they never have a clock in the exam rooms?) It was 11:00 and nobody had so much as stuck her head in the room to tell me what the wait was for, how long before I could expect them, or anything polite like that.

I thought, why am I allowing myself to be treated like this? I don’t even need these people. I showed up on time by personal sacrifice, and they didn’t have the courtesy to do a 2 minute exam within a reasonable time frame, or let me know why I had to wait 45 minutes for a 2 minute “hey hello.” So I got up and walked out. Didn’t meet anyone in the halls. Nobody even called me until 30 minutes later. I explained the situation to the phone nurse, told her I did not think it was right to have to wait that long when it took me a huge effort to be there on time. The kicker is, you have to pay for parking, and if you go over an hour, you pay incrementally more. So basically they are charging you for waiting for them. Anyway she told me she would “see what she could work out” for me and call me back. (Didn’t hear anything more.) Anyway, it was pretty empowering to take control like that.  I’ve always kind of wanted to do that.

This entry was posted in Children, Pregnancy/Labor/Birth. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s